Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Love Languages

There are five love languages/ five ways we express love/ five ways in which we feel loved. No more, no less. FIVE is the correct answer. Some of us are fluent in love. Some of us are bilingual. Some of us speak with a British accent. But some of us are less eloquent, stuttering, lisping, mispronouncing, and generally making arses of ourselves. If you find yourself in the latter category, here are a list of tips for you this lovely Valentine's season. Enjoy.

Love Language #1: Quality Time

Poor Norman. He just wanted some one-on-one. That's what made him feel special. A private conversation, with plenty of eye contact. A little mutual bonding. Time spent together in pleasant activity- like taking a walk together, sharing a bundt cake, playing a board game, taxidermy...



Why not take some time for your favorite psycho this Valentine's Day. A little quality time goes a long way.



Love Language # 2: Words of Affirmation

For Grima, a simple, "I love you." would have really made his day. He needed a little verbal reassurance. Maybe a "thank you for folding the laundry, Grima," or a "your hair looks especially wet today, Grima," or a "You certainly have a knack for emotional-manipulation, Grima."

Don't let another day pass you by. Take the opportunity to say what's in your heart.



Love Language #3: Gifts
All Xerxes wanted was the world. He showed his affection through gift-giving. All he wanted were a few gifts in return. Like a thoughtful card, or that new sweater he's been eyeing, maybe another golden-piercing, or countless, subordinate minions. It isn't the price tag, but the thought that counts.

Be kind. Put some thought into the gifts you give.




Love Language #4: Physical Touch


Give him a Baby Ruth and he's yours for a day. But what makes Sloth really feel loved is a hug, or a slobbery kiss, wrestling in a tickle war, or a good cuddle on the couch, watching pirate movies.



Don't be a goonie. Show your love with a little physical affection.




Love Language #5: Acts of Service
The question isn't what would Gollum do for his Precious, but what wouldn't he do for his Precious. Suffer torture in the hands of cruel orcses? Take out the garbage? Hike across Middle Earth? Give a back- message? Dive into the fiery depths of Mt. Doom? Make a favorite dinner?

Find ways to serve your Precious. When your love is truly giving it will come back to you ten-fold.

11 comments:

Wayneman said...

LOL! I can TOTALLY relate to Grima. Verbal affirmation would last me for days.

On the other hand, withholding verbal affirmation can set me back for days.

For me, the important thing about love language, is to use the one (or two) your loved one responds to, no matter how "stupid" or silly you might think it is.

For example: While verbal affirmation is just "empty words" to one person, to another, it makes all the difference in the world.

It stands to reason though, that if you TRULY love someone, you will WANT to speak their language.

Right?

Angie said...

Hilarious, and genius, Di! You are incredibly creative and beautiful and amazing. I love you.

Your love language is words of affirmation right? I just don't want you to go all Grima on me.

Remember when I was 12 and I looked exactly like the girl from the Ring? Yeah...wasn't quite getting the love I needed back then. Momma thought gifts were lame. So I kept right on making sock-bears..........

Di said...

LOL Ang :) I think you can usually tell what other people's love languages are by how THEY show love.

I'm a little confused as to what my love language is. Maybe I don't have one...

Erika W said...

I'm just a little sickened and disturbed by the thought of physical touch being associated with Sloth. When I go to sleep tonight I am sure to be met with some sort of Slothish nightmares. Good thing Jason's not much of a cuddler because after that image of snuggling Sloth, I'm just really not in the mood anyway.

You are hilarious, by the way!

Annalisa said...

i'm #2 and think my hubby is a #4. not sure what the kids are yet though...funny post. smiles!

Shanana said...

We loves the acts of service. We wants it. We wants to vote for the Precious on the sidebar quiz, but the filthy little hobbitses have already voted on this computer and won't lets us.

Mommalynne said...

This is pure genius, my favorite child!!

Wayneman said...

Mom - DUUUH!

Meliss said...

You really are good Diana! You need to be published...on paper.

Tiffanie said...

You kill me woman! That was so great! I found that so very amusing, and a great spin on a great book. Thank you for always being so darn creative.

Chrystal said...

You are too brilliant for words! I can't stop smiling and giggling...too hilarious! I'm # 2 and # 4, Jared is # 4 and #5 - we both want more of the ones we don't match on but survive fairly well on our matched language :) Awesome post!