Thursday, December 18, 2008

My Dilly-Dallyer

Brooklyn is a dilly-dallyer. Meticulous and careful by nature, she has exceptional concentration for a five-year-old. However, this does make it difficult for her to move from one activity to another. In a world where we are often driven by the clock, life can be frustrating with someone who will not be rushed.

This month she has been attending our neighbor's Joy School twice a week. Each Tuesday and Thursday morning we awake with time to spare. "Hurry and get dressed Brooklyn" I instruct. She disappears in her room. Thirty minutes later I find her still in her underwear, putting multiple outfits together, unable to decide. "Brooklyn we only have ten minutes before Joy School starts and you have to eat breakfast. PLEASE HURRY." I emphasize. Five minutes later, "Brook, if you don't put something on and eat RIGHT NOW you will be late for Joy School." "Brook, less talk more action." "Do you know what HURRY means?" "It doesn't MATTER what socks you wear. JUST HURRY." "Brooklyn, no TALKING- EAT!" "HURRY! HURRY HURRY!"
Its not her fault. Like many kids her age, she just doesn't grasp Go-Time. But unfortunately I still get frustrated with her.

This morning it was my fault. I thought it was Friday until Avery remembered, "Is Brooklyn going to Joy School?" Thank you Avery. She was already fifteen minutes late. "Brook! Today is your Christmas party! We have to HURRY!" And she tried to. But there were so many pretty panties to choose from. And she couldn't find the socks she wanted. Avery and I said a quick obligatory prayer over the Cream of Wheat but I soon realized Brook wouldn't have to time to eat any of it. "Brooklyn! You are not very good at hurrying! You are going to miss your party!" I yelled. She came running down the hallway with her snow boots, flopped down and pulled them on as quickly as she could. "Is this the right way Mom?" She asked. "Yes! Hurry!" I threw her her coat, "Hurry!" I handed her a Pop Tart. "Eat this! Hurry!" She flopped back down to the floor. "What are you-?!" But I had to stop. She was kneeling down in the middle of the floor, eyes closed, arms folded, head bowed reverently, saying a silent prayer over her breakfast.

I don't teach my children half as much as they teach me. In the midst of worldly demands I had grossly neglected my priorities. My five-year-old Brooklyn, however, my little dilly-dallyer, had remembered her Savior. And in her humble way, she taught me the most valuable lesson I've learned this Christmas season.

8 comments:

Wayneman said...

Cute story, Di.

I've concluded that it is a good 'fault' to have. Because, if they don't end up with OCD, they have the potential to top-notch human beings.

Hayden is our dilly-dallyer, especially when it comes to clean underwear...

... AND when it comes to prayers and scripture study. He craves both of those things, and they make a HUGE difference in his daily life.

Even HE recognizes that his day goes better with scripture study and prayer in the AM.

Good on Brookie.

Chrystal said...

Thanks Brooklyn for your beautiful example. We love you!

Mommalynne said...

Brookie comes by her dilly-dally ways naturally. I have it as do several of my siblings. I hope she gets along with it better than I do. I'm getting worse.

But I admire her for remembering her priorities!! I sometimes leave them behind. Thank you, Brooklyn! and thank you, Diana, for telling us about it.

Where did you find that song? "A Well Respected Man"? I have always liked that song and haven't heard it for sooo long!

Shanana said...

I'm so thankful for garments. It saves me the hassle of having so many pretty panties to choose from.

Erika W said...

That is so sweet! Here I was at home cursing you guys for being so late and ruining our Christmas party and all the time Brooklyn was at home praying for her Pop Tart (which is one food that could probably use some blessings). Shame on me! (Kidding of course. I had nothing planned for the first hour of school so we just sang songs.)

Wayneman said...

I have to laugh knowingly at your comment, Erika W, because I too, am in the educational profession (currently on hiatus).

If people only knew how much we actually wing it... ;)

Annalisa said...

awe...we love brooklyn. what a great little story. you should send it to the Friend.

Wayneman said...

Di, where you at, girl?