Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Twenty-seven Things I've Learned

Its official. Today I turn that magical age of twenty-seven. Much the same as twenty-six you say? I beg to differ. Perhaps I'm only a little bit wiser, a tad more mature and self-assured, a little less likely to lose this pregnancy weight- Sure. After all, what difference could one year make at this point? I'd like to think I learn something new every year. Sometimes, I even learn two or three things a year. I know. I'm kind of amazing. In most ways I will admit, I'm probably the same old Diana. Worry-prone, yes. Slightly off, yes. Really, really, ridiculously good-looking, maybe. But to tell you the truth I feel like I've learned some valuable lessons lately that I would like to share with you now. I call them "Twenty-seven things I've learned." MMM-yes, very creative I know.

1. Nausea can serve a duel purpose; one- to satisfy a fetus, two- to make me appreciate life.
2. Nothing compares to watching my children share and play nicely together.
3. Sometimes others see me more clearly than I see myself.
4. Happy jobs make happy husbands.
5. Even when we make a minimal effort Heavenly Father watches out for us.
6. I need to pick my battles.
7. Blogging is both fun and therapeutic.
8. Some people need more personal space than others.
9. People are generally more concerned about their own flaws than yours.
10. Cheese soup is much harder to make than it should be.

11. Muppets are a whole different brand of scary.
12. We all need friends even if we don't all realize it.
13. Modelling isn't my cup of tea.
14. Nothing is radder than David Bowie's hair in "Labyrinth".
15. With the right camera, anyone can be a great photographer.
16. Sometimes just laying in the sunshine is all I really need.
17. Everything is good at the Cheesecake Factory.
18. I'm an extrovert with a white personality.
19. You don't really know a person until you see how they react to tragedy.
20. Its futile to appeal to one's good nature, when one is a tow-truck driver.
21. Paying a little extra for a good haircut is totally worth it.
22. The first step to friendship is exposing yourself as the nerd you are.
23. Needing someone to talk to isn't a weakness.
24. Being pessimistic isn't as fun as it looks.
25. There is no gain without sacrifice.
26. Extreme exaggerations, or half-truths are useful tools in creative writing.
27. Nothing beats waking up to your children and husband jumping on the bed, mauling you while exclaiming "Happy Birthday Mommy!" Its the best.

8 comments:

Erika W said...

Happy Birthday, Diana!!! 27 isn't too bad - I survived it. It's 29 I'm worried about! And yes, everything is good at the Cheesecake Factory! Hope you have a fabulous day and that the little fetus cooperates and gives you a break from the pukiness for one day!

Annalisa said...

happy happy birthday. we have a birthday wish for you that all your dreams come true! and my fav is # 26 and # 21 smiles! happy birthday!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!!!!! WE LOVE YOU!!!!

Angie said...

I really hope your yummy Cheescake Factory food stays down for your Birthday. Love you!

Mommalynne said...

Very good post, Honey. I think its a great idea to write down what we have learned in the past year(s) for our birthdays! I think I'll do that too. You are AWESOME! My Precious.
I hope your time at the DMV today was short and painless and that your birthday celebration was wonderful!
Love you, Sweetheart

Brittany said...

Happy belated Birthday, sometimes I like to think we are still at the LDSBC back when we were young!!!

Chrystal said...

HOORAY! Happy Birthday Diana, you are an awesome friend, wife, mother, woman and writer! I think the world of you and I've really enjoyed becoming your friend. Thanks for the great list - it is fun that I can smile and know a lot about what is on this list ;) I grew up watching 'Labyrinth' too ha ha!

Denise & Cody said...

Happy Happy Birthday Diana. Im sorry I'm so late.. as usual... but I always think of you when November comes even if I never call and am bad at writing you. I love you tons and miss you like crazy. We have to come out to visit you guys soon. You girls are so adorable and I wish I knew them as I'm sure they are a lot like you.