Saturday, July 12, 2008

My Five Favorite Bands From High School

So I took the bate. ANOTHER tag from my brother. I'm telling you I cannot resist! You should know I do not look back on my High School years with much fondness. And no, I don't want to talk about it. But while in High School I enjoyed a variety of music, from nineties-punk and ska bands, to alternative music, whatever that means. I think that as I've matured my tastes have become more specific and less stupid. And I'm of the opinion that recently the music industry has turned out much better stuff (for the most part) than the junk I listened to back in the day. Maybe its because people my age are writing it, I don't know. Anywho, without further ado here are my top five favorite bands from High School.

Green Day. Honestly, I liked them better before they grew a political opinion. They used to sing about really intelligent things like poo and ...other stuff. Dookie was the first album I ever purchased in 1994 when I was thirteen. It was a cassette tape because I didn't have one of those fancy CD players. Up to that point I had led a musically sheltered life and I'm pretty sure I still called my parents "mommy and daddy". Green Day put and end to that. I continued liking them and bands like them through High School and really, I still like them. I just don't put much stock in their political mumbo-jumbo, and that goes for anyone who sings about getting wasted and blowing stuff up.


No Doubt. From the moment I heard "Just a Girl" on the radio I thought Gwen Stephani rocked! Sure she was totally insane, but I had no problem with that. I liked No Doubt because they were really different than anything I'd ever heard, and had a very charming innocence to their insanity.


Radiohead. Come on, "I'm a creep, I'm a blahblahha" I relate to that! Its like Thom knows me! So I don't understand half the lyrics, I have no problem with that because the music is awesome. I'm probably alone in this, but when I'm sad happy music just makes me sadder. Give me some melancholy Radiohead to cheer me up. I still love them.


Beck rocks. He's so simultaneously weird and hilarious he's either totally wasted, or he's a friggin' genius. And the cool thing about Beck is that his music is constantly evolving. No two albums are the same.


Ah, Garbage; the sum of all my teenage angst! Garbage is appropriately named because they kind of suck. But, they sucked to such a degree that they were kind of sweet. That happened a lot in the nineties. I was a big fan of Garbage because they were different. I don't really listen to them anymore.

Other bands that rocked the nineties: Nirvana, Live, Weezer, Foo Fighters, Rage Against the Machine, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Beastie Boys, Bush? Gavin what the heck are you talking about? And what the flip is Glycerine?
Oh yeah, and I hereby tag Brittany, Emily, Gina, Angie, and Angie B.

16 comments:

Wayneman said...

Outstanding post Di! That's what I'm talking about.

I too loved those bands (in my mid-20s)especially Garbage and No Doubt.

Beck is the Morrissey of his generation - musical genius or idiot savante?

Green Day and Radiohead? Guilty pleasures. I love Dookie.

Glycerine was a frickin' awesome song by Bush. THAT was a great band in my book.

So, are you going to pass along the tag or what?

Shanana said...

The Beastie Boys? Puu-lease! I was listening to them in the 8th grade. Where were you?

Oh yah. In utero!

Shanana said...

And here's my favorite quote from Wayne: "I love dookie."

Angie said...

So, no one wants to know my favorite bands in high school, huh? Being left out of the family tags, ay? I see how it is.

Di said...

I thought for sure Shana would tag you and Gina, she probably thought I would tag you. Anyway you have now been tagged so you best get on the ball.

Annalisa said...

i saw No Doubt in concert in college and got to go back stage and meet Gwen.

Shanana said...

I didn't tag Gina because, let's face it, she is never going to find out the tag has been issued. And I was following Diana's lead and untagging the new Momma, Angie... although thinking about it, this is a little different than taking pictures of your house's netherregions and posting them on the web.

Angie said...

I DID take those pictures though and was going to post them, until Diana untagged me. Which was kind of a relief, actually. But thanks for the re-tag this time around, Di.

You're too good to me, you really are.

Wayneman said...

Angpang, I am VERY interested in which bands you listened to in high school.

So let's have it.

Wayneman said...

BTW, did anyone notice that Anna met Gwen Stefani backstage?

That's pretty cool.

Di said...

That is really cool. I've seen No Doubt in concert and Gwen is crazy-wild.

Erika W said...

I am even nerdier than I previously thought! Your bands are cool and hip and now (well, then, I guess). I can't think of anyone I actually listened to on a regular basis. I remember asking people I though were cool to recommend CD's for me so that I could also be cool, and then I would go and buy them and find them annoying and go back to listening to 80's soft rock, which is all our one radio station in St. George played. Yes, once again, you are so much cooler than me. But didn't you like Journey too, even just a little bit?

Wayneman said...

Journey was awesome. Steve Perry is one of the best vocalists of all time.

Di said...

Its so kind of you to think that I am cool Erika. Bless you! I am unfamiliar with Journey, which probably means they're one of Andy's favorites.

Anonymous said...

Di....I will forgive you for not knowing Jouney, but you should give it a try. It is way worth it!

Denise & Cody said...

Great picks Di. I loved those bands too! I still Listen to a lot of Radiohead and Beck these days. And I need to listen to some Green Day.. been years! My Dookie album got stolen years ago. ;(